Legislative Committee Meetings
Legislative Committee Meetings
Overview of the Colorado Senior Lobby Legislative Committee Meetings
While the legislature is in session, Colorado Senior Lobby (CSL) holds weekly meetings to review legislation looking for those bills that impact seniors. From these bills, the group selects those that have the greatest potential impact on seniors for weekly discussion. The result is that the Colorado Senior Lobby will either support or oppose proposed legislation depending on its impact on seniors. If there is uncertainty, then it will monitor the proposed legislation. As the bill proceeds through the process it is frequently amended. This may result in the Senior Lobby changing its position in regard to the bill.
During the Fall the CSL Legislative Committee meets every other week. At these meetings the upcoming legislative issues are discussed and organizations are invited to attend and present information relevant to older adults.
- Upcoming Events – December 12 and 16, January 27, May 14
- Dec 12th – Citizen Lobbyist Training Introduction – CLICK HERE
- Dec 16th – Citizen Lobbyist Training Deeper Dive at Senior Planet & Streamed – CLICK HERE
- Jan 27th – A Capitol Affair – Buy your ticket – CLICK HERE
- May 14th – Save the date for Colorado Senior Lobby’s Older Coloradans Day
2019 Legislative Committee Meeting Schedule:
Dec 16th – Regular meeting is cancelled and we are holding citizen lobbyist training at Senior Planet Colorado – RSVP TODAY
This Month’s Meeting:
December 16, 2019 – Monday, 9:30AM – 11:30AM
SPECIAL Colorado Senior Lobby Legislative Committee Meeting (LCM)
Join us for Citizen Lobbyist Training offered by Colorado Senior Lobby – “Take a Deeper Dive in Citizen Lobbyist Training”
Location: Senior Planet Center
Address: 7585 E. Academy Blvd., Denver, CO 80230
Our Colorado Senior Lobby (CSL) Citizen Lobbyist Training is “non-partisan citizen lobbyist training” for someone who wants to influence policy and not just discuss policy. Colorado Senior Lobby was organized in 1980 as a non-partisan organization committed to enhancing the life of seniors through education and analysis of legislation as it impacts seniors, along with encouraging citizen lobbying by Colorado Senior Lobby members and members of the community to testify on bills. This event is being hosted at Senior Planet. Senior Planet offers technology training programs to older adults through an ever-growing network of community partners around Colorado. Covering everything from computer basics to starting an online business, these courses, lectures, and workshops are designed specifically for older adult learners.
View Event Flyer – CLICK HERE
Register for this Event – CLICK HERE
January 6, 2020 – Monday, 9:30AM – 11:30AM
Colorado Senior Lobby Legislative Committee Meeting (LCM)
Location: Disability Law Colorado Offices – Main Conference Room
Address: 455 Sherman St, Denver, CO 80203
There is some street parking at this location
The Colorado Senior Lobby Legislative Committee continues to work on 2020 Legislative Planning. The CSL Legislative Committee has met bi-monthly this summer and fall. The goal is to review upcoming 2020 proposed legislation and issues between now and the end of the year and be well-prepared for the 2020 Legislative Session. Visitors are always welcome to attend in person or call-in. If you are a first time visitor, please call us at 303-832-4535 so we can welcome you. You can attend in person or call in using Zoom. After the January 6th meeting, we will be meeting every Monday through May 4th, although occasionally meetings are cancelled due to Federal holidays so always check the website for exact meeting dates.
Thanks, Bob Brocker
President – Colorado Senior Lobby
303 832 4535
303 862 8711
If you are calling in, you will want to use Zoom through your computer so you can see the documents shared by our presenters. See details on Zoom below.
You can attend in person or call into a meeting using our Zoom account. If you are using Zoom through your computer then you need to download the free Zoom software into your computer. If you are using your computer, please use the Zoom number for the conference call, and not your computer audio. Experience has taught us that many people have communication problems when using the computer audio.
If you are calling in (and not using your computer to view presentations going on in the conference room), then you just need to call in using the Zoom number below. Our Zoom call in number is 1-720-707-2699 – Our meeting ID is 881 481 5119. Use *6 to mute and unmute your phone.
- Dial in with Zoom using 1-720-707-2699.
- One tap mobile +17207072699,,8814815119# US
- Our meeting ID is: 881 481 5119
- Use *6 to mute and unmute your phone.
- To view shared documents visit our Zoom meeting page – https://zoom.us/j/8814815119
- Have questions about Zoom? Send us an email – CLICK HERE
Legislative Committee Meeting (LCM) Schedule
Note that meetings can be cancelled due to holidays, bad weather and conflicts with other major events. Please review the information below so you have a better idea about what Colorado Senior Lobby LCM are all about and know who to contact to confirm that a meeting is being held.
- LCM are held on Mondays from 9:30AM to 11:30AM.
- During the active Colorado legislative session, the LCM are generally held every Monday while the legislature is in session, with an occasional change or cancellation due to a conflict with a major event.
- During the summer months LCM are held once or twice a month.
- During the fall months (Sept – Dec), LCM are generally meet every two weeks.
- Meetings can be cancelled due to holidays, bad weather and conflicts with other major events.
More about the Legislative Committee Meetings (LCM)
- The meetings held during the legislative session focus on reviewing proposed bills that impact older adults in Colorado. It is during these meetings, that CSL Members vote on whether to Monitor, Support or Oppose a bill.
- During the LCM we may have speakers come in and present on issues important to older adults. If possible we like to have two organizations attending a single meeting that have opposing views on a single issue.
- During the legislative session, organizations attend and present on a bill that they want CSL’s support for during the next legislative session. Following such presentations, the LCM attendees who are members will vote on whether to support, oppose or monitor a certain bill.
- Sign up for LCM Meeting Reminders
Send us an email and ask to be added to an email blast that has the latest information about the LCM – CLICK HERE
LCM Meetings are open to CSL Members, General Public & Organizations
- Our LCM meetings are open to Colorado Senior Lobby members, general public and organizations, however only paid members can vote on bill positions and have access to our CSL Legislative Bill Position Report system.
- First Time Visitors
If this is your first meeting, contact us because meetings can change at the last minute. You can also ask to be added to the Legislative Committee Meeting distribution list. You can attend in person or call in using our phone system.
Contact: Bob Brocker – 303-832-4535
Here are some tips for calling in
- When you first call in please announce yourself with your name and identify yourself with a designation such as retiree, representing an organization or other affiliation.
- When you first call in, you may hear a lot of talking, at some point the Chair of the meeting will ask if anyone is calling in – speak up and identify yourself.
- When you first call in, you may be put on hold which means the call in phone system is not activated yet. If this happens please wait approximately 5 minutes for the official meeting time. If nothing happens, then call 303-832-4535.
- The * 6 (‘Star’ 6) buttons on your phone will allow you to mute and unmute your phone, your voice and the background noises in your room.
- If you are NOT TALKING, PLEASE MUTE YOUR PHONE. It is amazing how much background noise is picked up from those calling in, from coughing to typing to barking dogs. These unnecessary sounds are then projected into the committee meeting room disrupting the conversation – so please generously use * 6.
Legislative Committee Meeting Resources for Paid Members
- We maintain a password protected legislative resource web page that is for paid members only.
- Please consider joining so you have access to this resource, which includes the online Bill Tracking system – JOIN NOW
Special thanks to our Committee Meeting Host …
Disability Law Colorado
455 Sherman St #130, Denver, CO 80203
Disability Law Colorado (formerly known as The Legal Center for People with Disabilities and Older People) is an independent, public interest non-profit organization, specializing in civil rights and discrimination issues.
“You have one of the most tremendous resources before you today which is an organization tuned into your issues that will actually take the time to train you how to be a citizen lobbyist. I really encourage you to take advantage of it …”