Legislative Committee Meetings
Legislative Committee Meetings
Overview of the Colorado Senior Lobby Legislative Committee Meetings
While the legislature is in session, Colorado Senior Lobby (CSL) holds weekly meetings to review legislation looking for those bills that impact seniors. From these bills, the group selects those that have the greatest potential impact on seniors for weekly discussion. The result is that the Colorado Senior Lobby will either support or oppose proposed legislation depending on its impact on seniors. If there is uncertainty, then it will monitor the proposed legislation. As the bill proceeds through the process it is frequently amended. This may result in the Senior Lobby changing its position in regard to the bill.
During the summer and fall the CSL Legislative Committee meets once or twice a month. At these meetings the upcoming legislative issues are discussed and organizations are invited to attend and present information relevant to older adults.
2019 Legislative Committee Meeting SUMMER and FALL Schedule
August 19, September 9th and then every other Monday through December 16th
This Month’s Meetings and More Details
August 19, 2019 – Monday, 9:30AM – 11:30AM **
Legislative Committee Meeting
Location: Disability Law Colorado Offices – Main Conference Room
Address: 455 Sherman St, Denver, CO 80203
There is street parking at this location
RSVP Online so we can plan refreshments – CLICK HERE
At our Monday, August 19th Legislative Committee Meeting, we’ll be checking in on progress from our volunteers in regard to legislative topic research. We will expect to learn who is heading up the teams (if possible), filling in a few blanks, and seeking clarity on the “new ideas” in terms of definition.
Here is a link to the official topic research list which includes the bill topics, action needed and those that are volunteering to do the research – CLICK HERE
To Call In – The call in number is 1-720-707-2699 – Our meeting ID is 881 481 5119. Use *6 to mute and unmute your phone. If you are calling in, please use the Zoom number for the conference call and please use your phone, not your computer audio.
- Dial in with Zoom using 1-720-707-2699.
- One tap mobile +17207072699,,8814815119# US
- Our meeting ID is: 881 481 5119
- Have questions about Zoom? Send us an email – CLICK HERE
Note that meetings can be cancelled due to holidays, bad weather and conflicts with other major events. Please review the information below so you have a better idea about what the Colorado Senior Lobby Legislative Committee Meetings are all about and know who to contact to confirm that a meeting is being held.
Legislative Committee Meetings during the legislative session:
During the active Colorado legislative session, the Legislative Committee Meetings are generally held every Monday while the legislature is in session. During the summer we have a special schedule as shown above. Note that meetings can be cancelled due to holidays, bad weather and conflicts with other major events. Please review the information below so you have a better idea about what the Colorado Senior Lobby Legislative Committee Meetings are all about and know who to contact to confirm that a meeting is being held.
More about the Legislative Committee Meetings:
The meetings held during the legislative session generally focus on reviewing bills that impact older adults in Colorado. It is during these meetings that decisions are made to Monitor, Support or Oppose a bill.
- Link to our Bill Position Report web page to see updates on bills we are following.
This is for Members Only – CLICK HERE
- During our summer meetings we often have speakers come in and present on issues important to older adults. If possible we like to have two organizations attending a single meeting that have opposing views on a single issue.
- During the summer meetings we often have organizations attend and present on a bill that they want CSL’s support for during the next legislative session.
Sign up for Meeting Reminders
Send us an email and ask to be added to an email blast that always has the latest information about the legislative committee meetings – CLICK HERE
Meetings are Open to CSL Members, General Public & Organizations
Our meetings are open to Colorado Senior Lobby members, general public and organizations, however only paid members can vote and participate with our online CSL Legislative Bill Position Report system.
First Time Visitors
If this is your first meeting, contact us because meetings can change at the last minute. You can also ask to be added to the Legislative Committee Meeting distribution list. You can attend in person or call in using our phone system.
Contact: Bob Brocker – 303-832-4535
Here are some tips for calling in:
- When you first call in please announce yourself with your name and identify yourself with a designation such as retiree, representing an organization or other affiliation.
- When you first call in, you may hear a lot of talking, at some point the Chair of the meeting will ask if anyone is calling in – speak up and identify yourself.
- When you first call in, you may be put on hold which means the call in phone system is not activated yet. If this happens please wait for the official meeting time, and if nothing happens, then call 303-832-4535.
- The * 6 (Star 6) buttons on your phone will allow you to mute and unmute your phone, your voice and the background noises in your room. If you are not talking, please mute your phone. It is amazing how much background noise is picked up from those calling in, from coughing to typing to barking dogs. These unnecessary sounds are then projected into the committee meeting room disrupting the conversation – so please generously use * 6.
Legislative Committee Meeting Resources
We maintain a web page that lists resources we are given from presentations – CLICK HERE
** These dates are subject to change due to Federal Holidays and accommodating meeting dates for the Strategic Planning Group on Aging (SAPGA).
Special thanks to our Committee Meeting Host …
Disability Law Colorado
455 Sherman St #130, Denver, CO 80203
Disability Law Colorado (formerly known as The Legal Center for People with Disabilities and Older People) is an independent, public interest non-profit organization, specializing in civil rights and discrimination issues.
“You have one of the most tremendous resources before you today which is an organization tuned into your issues that will actually take the time to train you how to be a citizen lobbyist. I really encourage you to take advantage of it …”